Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hiking and Laura Ingalls Wilder!

Laura's House in Independence!


Overlooking Elk City Lake!


On Friday the boys were out of school, Shawn was still off work, so we decided to head out for an adventure! A few months ago, the boys and I read a Little House on the Prairie book...both boys were really into it, which got me to thinking they needed to see the Little House exhibit in Independence! The book we read was actually about their time in Independence, so it was perfect! The boys were amazed at the size of their house...and that the school house was actually a whole lot bigger than the Ingalls' home! After checking that out we headed over to Elk City Lake for a picnic and some hiking! We started out on a pretty small trail...about a mile...we knocked that out before lunch! After lunch, came the long one....longer than we had initially anticipated! When we were halfway through (2 miles and 1 hour in) and hadn't started turning back around....it was decided that Shawn would turn back grab the Army and pick us up at the end of the trail....approximately 1 more mile! Well, in a perfect world I could read a map and I would have sense enough to listen to a 6 year old....but in a perfect world I do not reside! Gabe, Grady and I ended up getting lost! We did make it to the end of the trail....more than a mile we had gone I am sure...and somehow we did beat Shawn to our meeting point by a mere 5 minutes or so! Even so, it was a perfect day....even if I did spend a good 40 minutes wondering in the wilderness!

No comments: