Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Laker's Season Opener!

Gabe's first at bat of the baseball season!!

Today was Gabe's first baseball game of the season! I must first tell you, I have never seen Gabe nervous about a game like he was this morning...he said he didn't feel like they had enough practice and thought they just weren't ready. This broke my heart...I have always thought this should just be fun, but I know he takes this much more seriously, so I want him to do well and feel confident! I reassured him that the other teams had the same amount of practice time and to just have fun! With that said, I have to tell you with a heavy heart, the Laker's did not win :( Gabe's nerves got the best of him his first at bat...he struck out...his first time ever in a game! I could tell this really bothered him and he bumbled the ball a couple of times in the outfield after that. Finally during the 4th inning, I just couldn't take it anymore. As embarrassing as it may have been I yelled out to Gabe, "Shake it off, this is just a game. Let's have some fun!! No one is going to the majors today!" While I'm sure this was not the magical statement to change the way of the game, all of the kids seemed to loosen up and all of them started getting hits and on base! The last inning was definitely our best...if only we could have started out as well as we ended! Gabe had a good hit with an RBI and some good plays while he was in field during the last inning. He played 2nd base a couple of innings and right field for the other few innings! I hope our next game on Wednesday night goes a little better for the kiddos----GO LAKERS!!!!

Gabe stopping a grounder!

No comments: