Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Spring Showcase and Author's Night!

Last night we had the pleasure of watching Gabe's end of the year program and listening to him present one of his stories....that he wrote all by himself! The second graders sang 3 different songs....my favorite was the silly song of course...they wore red clown noses for the entire song...or as long as they would stay on!! After the program we headed to Gabe's classroom for snacks and the sharing of the stories! Gabe did an absolutely awesome job--he was the only one to share a story that was a non-fiction story----Everyone had the opportunity to learn last night!! We were so very proud of Gabe's story....after the sharing was complete several people told Gabe what a great story he wrote...with even a few asking me if I had helped him write it...which I proudly said, "No!" He did it all by himself!! I know this may bore some and yes, not every word is spelled or used correctly...but I really want to share his story and as biased as I may be--I think it is fabulous!...so here we go!

The Terrible Story in 1912 II
In 1912 there were no airplanes. If you wanted to get across the vast ocean you had to go by ship. There were three ships going to be built. There names were, Olympic, Titanic, and Gigantic. Olympic was actually built in 1908 then, four years later Titanic was ready. The captain was Captain Smith. For three days the ride was smooth, but on the night April 14 at 11:40 p.m., lookout Frederick Fleet spotted a gloomy shape in the Titanic's path. He rang the bell three times. 37 seconds ticked by, the Titanic struck the iceberg! Many people didn't feel a bump or hear a scratching noise. Smith and Thomas Andrews (the man who built most of the ship) went down to see for them self's. Andrews could hardly believe it. Six of the Titanic's compartments had already flooded. The Titanic could stay afloat with four-but not with six. By 2:15 a.m. Smith gave the word "It's every man for himself." At 2:20 a.m. the Titanic sank still carrying 1,500 people. Only 705 survived the disaster.
By: Gabe Fox Age 7



1 comment:

Aunt G said...

Good story Gabe! You are so very smart! I love you!